Weekly Update (Jun 25, 2016)

• Traverse Team

Hi guys,

We had another very busy week, with most systems in place, we're now working on actual landing mechanism, to finally start get us out of this very difficult milestone.

Summary from the git commit history:

Date: Sat Jun 25 22:02:36 2016 +1200

• game build 0.5.55
    • landing system - work in progress
    • updated connection HUD

Date: Fri Jun 24 23:40:56 2016 +1200

• planet landing system - work in progress
    • reinstated water sim using new data structure
    • added heavy armor mesh and icons: 2x boots, 1x gloves, 1x helmet
    • recompiled editor binary
    • debugging planet generation process
    • updated space composition from db

Date: Thu Jun 23 23:12:44 2016 +1200

• planet appearance capture rework
    • removed unused methods from TerrainController
    • performance optimization during take-off

Date: Wed Jun 22 20:50:09 2016 +1200

• fixed server-side terraform
    • game build 0.5.54
    • updated REST server
    • added cloth armor mesh and icons: 1x chest, 1x leggings
    • updated planet positioning

Date: Tue Jun 21 23:32:36 2016 +1200

• assigning planets location in space dynamically, for unassigned planets
    • updated planet surface REST request
    • minimap system - work in progress
    • refactored planet surface image generation -- work in progress

Date: Mon Jun 20 22:10:52 2016 +1200

• character appearance capture experiments
    • game build 0.5.53
    • fixed shadowing of PreparedData

Date: Sun Jun 19 18:56:14 2016 +1200

• updated build script
    • updated character selection process

• Awesome updates!! also I'm quite interested on this: if planets positions are automatic generated by the server. Can generate two or more planets that are quite close each other? and if this happens, can a player see the neighbour planet from the surface of its own? and in the other hand, how G (Gravity) force works in planets?

• Traverse Team

@Draëcal said in Weekly Update (Jun 25, 2016):

Awesome updates!! also I'm quite interested on this: if planets positions are automatic generated by the server. Can generate two or more planets that are quite close each other? and if this happens, can a player see the neighbour planet from the surface of its own? and in the other hand, how G (Gravity) force works in planets?

We could show your neighbours planets as moons hovering on your sky. But we have some challenges -- what if your neighbour picks colors that are really not suitable match for your sky, or if your neighbour changes the planet to 'private' -- maybe player needs ability to allow neighbour planets on their sky?

With gravity, we planned to allow players to adjust gravity as they see fit, but that may be one of the features left 'for later'. We could even affect gravity based on your neighbours planet. Should you be allowed to pick your neighbours and how close planets are?

• For recreating a realistic physic based universe, I think is better to not let to choose players how close planets are from their own, and about gravity inside your planet is awesome to have full control of it, so you can create zones in your planet with less gravity or more gravity. Still having doubts about how gravity affect to entities inside the planet: for example, a zone with x + 10 gravity will make players to be difficult to walk through?

• Traverse Team

@Draëcal Yeah, low gravity should make you jump higher, but fall slower, and probably give you faster run speed. Higher gravity should make you jump lower, fall faster, and slow run speed. Having gravity-altered areas will certainly create interesting gameplay!

• @Xulture and how affect gravity to rain? I mean, in a high gravity zone rain should feel like "bullets" and on the other hand, stones are just stone, or have different types so, they have different mass.

I hope this not too much science like questions, I'm really interested on it and all info will help me with the design of my planet

• Traverse Team

@Draëcal hmm.. if rain doesn't cause any damage regardless of speed, then it will just be the acceleration at which they fall down..? Same with everything falling down?

We should look into air density because that determines 'terminal velocity'. It may become too complicated, so we can just simply affect acceleration and still cap at the same terminal velocity..

Looks like your connection to Traverse Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.