Pets / Taming?

• Howdy! So I love taming and pets in games, I was wondering if we'll see taming or a pet type class in the future?

I think a class that uses creatures to fight would be awesome.

• Traverse Team

Heya, we've been weighing out whether Ranger should be a pet class or not. It is still up for discussion.

We're also planning to have temporary pets -- when you help a friendly mob that is in combat, they will hang around and help you out for a while too.

• Both of those sound cool, I'd really love to see taming at some point. I'd say a dedicated class, maybe a purchasable class down the road through an expansion pack or DLC?

• Traverse Team

ohh after release, I think we should keep adding everything that would be fun! :-)

Aztar and I have been toying with the idea on how to make abilities customizable. What do you guys think?

We can add 'pet' handling through customization perhaps?

• so customizable abilities like Ryzom?

• Traverse Team

We looked at making it that way (like Ryzom) but we didn't like it. It's not 'the Traverse way'.. We want it to be much simpler, but offer greater freedom. (essentially, Ryzom's system is very similar to usual spells+talents, but merged into one.)

Any input is appreciated!

• We'll have to wait until it is playable to see :) could always be a system implemented later

• Random misc pets would be pretty neat, like the ranger having the option of having some kind of bird companion that doesn't really do anything but fly around them and maybe help out when the ranger gets extremely low on health.

• Traverse Team

Nice idea! We have been discussing the idea of giving each animal their own characteristics. Perhaps one type of bird has it in for wolves, and always attacks them. But loves foxes, so it will never help you if you're killing them..

• That could be rather interesting, and would certainly give the ai a life of its own.

• @aztar said:

Nice idea! We have been discussing the idea of giving each animal their own characteristics. Perhaps one type of bird has it in for wolves, and always attacks them. But loves foxes, so it will never help you if you're killing them..

I love this idea. Its a rather original take on AI. Could those characteristics be even more randomized? Like one bird of the same species hates wolves but the other loves them? Then it could be up to you to find a Wolf loving bird or a Wolf hating bird depending on your needs?:smile:

• this could even be built sort of like the player 'DNA' setup, each species has its own DNA that defines ranges of behavior, and each animal of the species falls randomly on each range. This would make creating various similar species behavior interesting, if they are closely related, just move the ranges a bit. This could even be stretched to planet-wide ecosystems... define a whole evolutionary template, use a random seed that starts the chain, define how many species should exist and what the variance tolerance should be...

Now this is getting more complex... Probably something that'll need to wait until later if ever implemented :laughing:

• @EternalSites said:

this could even be built sort of like the player 'DNA' setup, each species has its own DNA that defines ranges of behavior, and each animal of the species falls randomly on each range. This would make creating various similar species behavior interesting, if they are closely related, just move the ranges a bit. This could even be stretched to planet-wide ecosystems... define a whole evolutionary template, use a random seed that starts the chain, define how many species should exist and what the variance tolerance should be...

Now this is getting more complex... Probably something that'll need to wait until later if ever implemented :laughing:

Ohhhh love where you heads at....that could be brilliant and complex!! My mind is racing!!!

• Traverse Team

This would be so cool! Animated mobs are so much work :-( There is skeleton to think about, mesh, animation, sounds, particle effects, stats and abilities. sigh

With the tool to build/design a house, we'll certainly try to have 'random' button (like we have almost everywhere else), to give everyone option for interesting starting point. After we get that implemented, we'll see how difficult would it be to expand it to create mobs. We haven't touched the whole 'changing animated mesh at runtime' apart from morphing (but morphing is really baked during import into engine, not something we change at runtime).

Player assisted/controlled randomly generated content FTW. It beats any other 'infinitely procedural' system.

• @xulture

Player assisted/controlled randomly generated content FTW. It beats any other 'infinitely procedural' system.

I so agree!!! I can't wait to see how creative players are!!!

• @xulture
    even if the main differences in appearance are just color, it would still give the feel of different species. That would at least take out the changing of animation sequences and all, just different skins. I'd like to say scaling shouldn't be too difficult, but I know engines like to throw fits over random things :expressionless:

Having some control over procedural generation usually comes in handy. Filters out the statistical anomalies and glitches in the sequence.

• Traverse Team

Changing materials at runtime is trivial -- if we split the mesh into 3 or so sub-materials, we can change those easilly. Scaling of the skeletal mesh works fine in Unreal Engine as long as its uniform (same in x, y, and z). Coolest thing with Unreal Engine is that non-uniform scaling of bones at runtime works fine -- we use it to stretch legs, arms and torso differently, during character creation. Penalty is that limbs are now not correctly aligned -- eg your arms may be too long and clip through legs when you sit down..

• Ah, and that's where the 'changing animated mesh at runtime' part comes in?

If the only problem is clipping, it would depend on the complexity of the animals animation. If they are limited to just a few like walking and attacking, unlike the players which I'm assuming have quite a few, then there would be less of a chance for clipping on non-uniform bone scaling.

One of the nice things about working on a project that has a lot of different features, if you find something you can't quite figure out, work on something different. Eventually you may find the solution to the problem. It sounds like you know a heck of a lot about Unreal Engine, it'll be interesting to see how everything works out!

• This is such an interesting discussion! However, I got stuck back at the friendly mobs. That's awesome! So, I'll be able to help wildlife and such in the game?

• Traverse Team

That's right, if you build up enough karma with a certain animal they will become your friend temporarily. Say if a wolf is fighting with a cow, and you come and defeat the wolf, this cow may become your temporary pet. There's no guarantee that it will happen, but when it does, you can prolong the time it is going to stick around by feeding it.

Looks like your connection to Traverse Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.