What sort of mechanisms/tools would you like to see in Traverse?

• Traverse Team

We would love to hear any suggestions you have for tools and mechanisms that you'd like or expect to see in Traverse.

There are 3 groups of items we'll have:

1. Items or abilities that that character uses while in combat mode (not just during combat, but also during exploration), eg grappling hooks, gathering tools, travel enhancements, jetpacks, etc

2. Building tools -- mechanics used during planet construction, excavation, house building, bridge / tunnel construction, floating islands, waterfalls, roller coasters, etc

3. Gameplay mechanics -- gadgets you place on the planet that trigger events for players to use during gameplay -- particle systems, levers, gravity alterations, spawn points, quests, etc

• Since it's all physics based (I think?) some tethering tools would be neat, like a sort of grappling hook that has a two stage firing mechanism, first shot you can fire at the enemy and the second you could fire into the ground which would hold the enemy in place. The tether could then snap after some time, or if the enemy is too large for the tether to hold. Alternatively you could fire it once at an object, just gonna use an enemy as an example because it's just easier, and then moving away from them would pull them around, this could be used in conjunction with say a jetpack to lift up enemies, could make for some creative ways to fight, and teaming up with other people you could use the tether in conjunction to hold large enemies in place.

• Traverse Team

That sounds very interesting! We already have mechanic to drag mob -- Barbarian's ability 'Chains of War'. We can reuse that (with a few tweaks) to create item you describe. Shall we call the item 'Grip of Kajahe'?

Made a quick clip for you to see, you can also have a peek at the train.:smiling_imp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUWxAISk4HA

• Haha, Grip of Kajahe, I like it, also the train's looking really nice.

• Traverse Team

I thought it sounded quite catchy.

• Definitely, elevators! and basements so imagine you build your super-extra-secret underground base! so you will need an elevator, or even if you plan to build your own skyscraper you'll need it ^_^

• On a similar note, how high and low can things be built, or rather what is the altitude range of the planets?

If there is room to build below ground, mine-carts or something of the like would be good, similar to trains but sort of 'one-way' (gravity and all).

If extreme heights are possible too, maybe ski-lifts or something? These would be good for crossing chasms too, as it sounds like the trains need to be on solid ground, or did I misunderstand?

• @Draëcal said:

Definitely, elevators! and basements so imagine you build your super-extra-secret underground base! so you will need an elevator, or even if you plan to build your own skyscraper you'll need it ^_^

On top of that I would like to see some ways to "mask" entrances/doors to make it more secret. Trapdoors, pistons (ye mc lol) connected to buttons etc. My dream world would have a mountain temple with tons of secret stuff in it :smile:

• Traverse Team

@Draëcal Yepp we'll have elevators! You can make underground dungeons, and skyscrapers!

@EternalSites Altitude range is about half a kilometer, and you can choose your default surface altitude and ocean level. So you can set it up to give you a lot of space for either underground or above ground, or half each.. gravity based mine carts sound like fun!

@Liriel That's a nifty idea -- would this secret passage (connected to a switch or proximity trigger) only affect collision, without any visual representation? I remember playing some games that had that, ages ago, and it was quite addictive rubbing against the wall all the time in hope to discover a secret passage ;-)

• It depends on what the engine can allow. Collision doors sounds nice. There could be also a door looking like a wall segment that will open under triggering button/pressure plate/etc. Hidden staircase etc etc. Limitless possibilities :smile: I just love playing with redstone/logic gates and pistons in minecraft. Would like to see something simillar here, however this can be very hard to make as you got no "blocks". Just my wild ideas :P

• They do have a very nice path placing system, check out their video's, I think the train railways uses the same placement method, so I'm sure it could be re-purposed yet again to allow for placement of an energy transmitter, although I'm not sure how you'd conceal it :stuck_out_tongue:

• Traverse Team

@Liriel we can make anything :-) Our current doors and gates look like doors and gates, and move that way. (we actually disable collision while the door rotates, to avoid that annoying push that some games do) It would be easy to have wall-looking doors that blend into environment. Currently we highlight objects that player can interact with, but we can mute that behavior for hidden doors too.

Since we don't use blocks to connect things around, and everything can be freely placed at any location, we'll have to display connections differently. If you select a switch, a line will draw itself to its destination, and you can move that destination around.

Very much like @Kajahe mentioned, we do for train tracks. With trains, when you overlap new track with existing, it creates a junction with its switch.

• I can't believe this is being done by just the two of you!!!

Anyone to the questions at hand!

Weapons - From the looks of it you guys can support almost any type. I really hope for some amazing ranged attacks. Bow, Spear or gun.
    Movement - Will there be stealth?(No biggie for me) Combat leaps, dashes, charges are all pluses. If they damage the voxel terrain even better. Is there any attacks that disrupt the terrain? I'd love to see something damage the ground and open up a hole beneath a mob. :)
    Travel - Flight? If so jet packs would be awesome. Tameable mounts? When exploring maybe using a boring device, like a molemachine?

Building - Will you be able to save templates of what you create to deploy quickly?
    Environment - is there the use of dynamic water and waterfalls? Placeable running and flowing water would be amazing.
    Machinery - gears and interactable switches, Items. Things that you can click on and have them operate a drawbridge or release a cart on a rollercoaster. Digging machine or tunneller would be awesome.

Devices - Teleporters, platforms, launchers, levers,
    Triggers/switches - Doors, Cages, Trap doors, secret entrances
    Spawn/AI dev tools - Any ability to command a trigger or proximity switch to activate an spawn mob, chests or quest would be so amazing.

Is it your direction to allow more than one mode. Like building/creative and exploring/PvE/PvP mode? I am wondering how you will go about transitioning between them? If you are on your own world will you be in a 'God/Dev' mode where you can do anything except play your world? Then when you visit someone elses you are in PvE/PvP mode?

I am so excited LOL.

• Traverse Team

Wow! some great ideas here, thanks for all the suggestions. I will see if we can incorporate your names into them ;-)

We're starting off with Bow, because each different ranged weapon needs its own set of animations, and that pushes our workload up a bit. We'd love to add more later.

Assassin has stealth. Ranger has 'Send Packing' that pull ranger back away from the enemy. Mage has 'Make tracks' that leaps him forward. Knight has 'Charge' that is a fast sprint forward / to the target, and Barbarian has 'Chains of war' that pull the enemy to you. We haven't done any temporary 'damage' to the terrain yet, but that's quite easy to add.

Jet packs and grappling hooks will be standard (although players will have to craft their own) -- that one of the ways to help prevent getting trapped because of someone's poor planet design (eg narrow hole where you can get stuck)

With building -- when you design and build a house, first step editing the layout, moving walls, placing windows, floors, roofs, etc. This becomes a 'blueprint' that use for next step (but you can also trade this blueprint with other players). Blueprint and building materials and needed to create finished house. This finished house you can place on your planet. (if you're the creator of the blueprint, you can make copies of it) So you can design one cool looking house and reuse it many times.

Environment - Rivers and waterfalls (as permanent feature on your planet, not just simulated while you're spilling) will work similar to the road tool.

Switches that activate other things will be usually a simple connection to the target (door, trap door, spawner of some sort), but we also want to create an editor where you connect logical representations of those objects and create a more complex flow, like Blueprint system that Unreal Engine has.

Gameplay modes: we have 3 modes:

Explore mode is how you play the game most of the time. This is where you fight mobs, craft, loot, fight players in pvp areas, explore planets, travel between them.

Design mode is when you're editing the planet, terraforming, placing objects, water, designing logic for gameplay events, flagging the planet for PVP or PVE, creating mini game for it. You can always switch into this mode on your planet, but for other planets thats only possible if the owner adds you to 'designers' list. Design mode has two editing sub-modes, one where you control character (eg for first-person digging) and other where your character disappears and you can move through collision if you need to.

Offline mode is similar to Design mode, but you have access to all possible items and buildings, you can't invite friends and mobs don't spawn. Here you can experiment and try different layouts for the planet. If you decide to 'upload' it to make it online, it will generate a shopping list of all items and crafting materials you need before that would be possible.

• Wow, amazing response Aztar! That gets me so hyped! All of it.....HYPED!

• Great stuff, keep it coming =).
    WTB Fast forward button to try alpha... :)

• Floating islands!

Oh, and I have no idea how this would work in the game engine, but... Perhaps being able to change the planet's shape?

• Traverse Team

@Evelyn You can change the landscape in anyway you want. We have added various terraforming tools already but looking at the planet from space it will look like a sphere.

• LUA NPCs or similar? and own animations fbx / dae / bvh ?

• Traverse Team

We definitely want to add ability to program AI, but not sure if it will be Lua, or some other language, or some other visual programming interface. It needs to be simple but versatile.

With animations we'd love to allow people to mocap using Xbox Kinect.

Both of these are planned for 'later'

Looks like your connection to Traverse Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.