Status of development

• Traverse Team

Traverse is currently being built. Expected release date is some time in 2016.

Quite a few of the intended features have been fully implemented, but there is still quite a bit of work left.

Game is built in Unreal Engine; targeted platform is Windows (Vista, 7, 8, 10). One of our core shaders requires relatively large number of textures to renders correctly, and this is the only issue preventing us to be able to release for Mac and Linux. We intend to resolve this closer to release (or shortly after). During alpha and beta testing, only Windows version will be available.

Server is built using Unreal Engine's core server engine, with additional coordination and synchronization using Node.js and MySQL.

Current milestone we are working towards is public-alpha testing, due to start by mid of 2016. Alpha sign-up forms will be available in due course.

Traverse is made by Mad Cow Studio, independent game development studio founded by @Aztar and @Xulture

@Aztar is Game Director, Art Director, 3D Artist, Animation coordinator, Sound coordinator, Web designer, and more.

@Xulture is Programmer, 3D Artist, Animator, Game designer and more.

@Alex is our Community manager, but he has been taking on 3D modelling as well.

@Dorian-Sora is our Composer and Sound engineer.

• Looks brilliant. Would love to promote but can we have a sticky so that we can answer some of the basic questions. Something like features / dev progress / road-map? I can see snow, digging, voxel ocean, under water effects, plant editing and animals.

• Traverse Team

Thanks deasanta!

Great idea -- I've stickied this thread. Feel free to ask specific questions.

We do need to tidy up our internal roadmap so we can publish it, and keep it up to date.

PS: let me know if you thought we should have a different 'FAQ-type' thread..

Cheers,
    Xulture

• Traverse Team

Quick update on train development -- we've completed most of the mechanics we planned at this stage: you can place, move, and arrange your train tracks wherever you need. You can merge other tracks into existing tracks, and this will create a 'train junction', with a switch that controls if a train forks or not.

These junctions have proven to be one of the most complex parts to implement. Especially when we want to allow freedom to keep moving both the original track, or the joining track -- it took some work to get it all to work quite seamlessly.

Train currently has one carriage, but we'll make that configurable by players.

We also added a helper 'train stop' marker, that you can move along the train track. Train stops at this place for 15 seconds then continues running.

You can create sections of railroad system, add loops to get train to turn around, etc.

At some stage we'll add further controls, eg timers for junction switches, or triggers for junction switches. Current version of train system allows you to decorate the planet and provide additional method of transport on your planet.

We've just added particles and sounds to the train, and these may need further tweaks.

Next item to do: networking for train system. While working on core mechanics, we often neglect networking, and then add it at the end, when we know exactly where we need to add network replication -- in this case it is placement of stop markers, state of junction switches, and of course, position of the train.

I'm still looking for a clean sound that train wheels make against the tracks -- we only have steam engine's puffing sound at this stage. If you come across a royalty free clean sound that train makes along the tracks (and also the one it makes when it crosses junctions) please let me know!

• Team of two? I'm impressed. The game looks so amazing and large. How long has it been in development? I assume full time. And by that I don't mean just 8 hours. It tells how much work has been put into it.

Kudos guys.

• Traverse Team

Thanks @bashar3a!

We started in December 2014, and its been more than full time.. It's been a lot of fun so far!

On occasion, when we need to do a quick test, we still get caught up and end up playing the game for hours..

• Traverse Team

This week we'll be working on preparing the road map for the game. This should help shed some light as to our plans and what's ahead.

@MassivelyIndie suggested using Trello board as well, to let everyone participate and vote for features -- this will help us decide what is more important and prioritize work better. We'll announce it here when it's up and running. I think we have over a hundred various features and bugfixes that will need to be loaded over to Trello. A lot of them are quite trivial 1-2hr work, but we don't want to lose and forget them. Some items are quite large as far as effort goes.

There are only two larger items that are hard to measure in terms of effort -- performance tuning (both server and client) and network related bugfixes. Those make it hard to predict when we'll go live as far as full release of the game is concerned.

Scope for testing the demo and alpha is much smaller -- as long as the game has most of planet building features, and it doesn't crash all the time, we can begin testing. :-)

• Pretty awesome! Stumbled across this randomly.

You not thought of putting this up on Steam Early Access?

• @nighthawk999 said:

Pretty awesome! Stumbled across this randomly.

You not thought of putting this up on Steam Early Access?

Where did you see the game posted if you don't mind me asking? We are starting to push out more and more across varying forums and websites :)

I believe the first steps will be towards Steam Greenlight, which will be a milestone in itself. I am familiar with the Steam EA and how found many amazing titles over the last couple years. There are some nightmares mixed in there as well though lol.

Might I ask what appeals to you most about Traverse?

• Traverse Team

I've just posted weekly update over at http://forum.traverse.world/topic/52/weekly-update-feb-20-2016

Publishing the train video also marks the end of the 'Train Set' milestone, and now we've moved onto the next one: Playable Demo; already coding planetary travel.

We've been setting up Trello board to help communicate our future plans and invite everyone to vote on features; finalizing it and making it available to everyone is one of objectives for this week.

@nighthawk999 Steam Early access is one of the possibilities; when the game is stable enough :-)

• @Alex I saw it featured on 2p I think the website was, yesterday reading a thread about Black Desert bizarrely. Clicked it, arrived here watched a few videos and the rest is history :)

I too have experienced a ton of awful games on Steam EA hehe it's sad really too many people get burnt on there with people downloading Unity adding a few marketplace assets and calling it a game!!

What appeals to me the most....difficult one, it looks different for starters. I really like games like Rust but the community is so varied, I think community generally is something that has been lost in the age of F2P gaming so combine that with a general generational 'age of entitlement' plus internet keyboard warrior mentality and you get some total nightmare people who in RL are probably quite nice!!

Maybe me being old but I've not discovered a truly great community across the entire server (I mostly play MMOs) for a very long time now, it's mostly confined to your guild rather than the server as a whole.

So what appeals to me (got off track there!) Open World, Class System, Build Stuff, Explore, Create....all of the above!!

• @nighthawk999 said:

@Alex I saw it featured on 2p I think the website was, yesterday reading a thread about Black Desert bizarrely. Clicked it, arrived here watched a few videos and the rest is history :)

I too have experienced a ton of awful games on Steam EA hehe it's sad really too many people get burnt on there with people downloading Unity adding a few marketplace assets and calling it a game!!

What appeals to me the most....difficult one, it looks different for starters. I really like games like Rust but the community is so varied, I think community generally is something that has been lost in the age of F2P gaming so combine that with a general generational 'age of entitlement' plus internet keyboard warrior mentality and you get some total nightmare people who in RL are probably quite nice!!

Maybe me being old but I've not discovered a truly great community across the entire server (I mostly play MMOs) for a very long time now, it's mostly confined to your guild rather than the server as a whole.

So what appeals to me (got off track there!) Open World, Class System, Build Stuff, Explore, Create....all of the above!!

Thanks for the reply! :)

I saw the article and it was a very nice surprise from Cerebrus @ 2P. It was a good write up. I can't wait to see what other people in the blogoshpere will post when they truly see what is in store for the wonderful universe of Traverse!

I'll also encourage you and anyone else to start discussions on anything that peaks your interest regarding Traverse and its gameplay!

Cheers, Alex

Looks like your connection to Traverse Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.