General PC advice needed!

• Greetings everyone!

So for a while now I have been thinking about upgrading a couple parts of my setup. My monitor and my HDD.

Currently I use Dual Monitors. One is 23" and the other is 21.5" (and older). The smaller one is failing and I'm thinking about replacing it. But I've been also been looking at those extra wide 27" 2560x1080 monitors. I'm wondering if I should just get one of those instead of running Dual? Anyone using one? Id love to hear some pros and cons.

My HDD is only 1 TB and full. I operate off of a 250GB Samsung SSD but need some more storage. Can anyone recommend a new HDD? My current one is a Seagate barracuda.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Alex

• On the topic of the monitors, I've been running dual 24" monitors for a few months now and couldn't imagine going back to one, even if it was extra wide. If you use Win 10, you will only have the 4 corners instead of 8 for multi-window, but if you don't use that feature then it isn't too important.

As for HDD, are you talking internal or external? If it's for more of an archival purpose, external might be better, if you're looking for constant access, internal. If you do go external, check for usb 3.0 compatible, saves lots of time, but usually requires an external power source.

I'd recommend Western Digital as I've never had any problems with theirs, but that's just one person's opinion, I'm sure others are more qualified to provide input.

I hope this helps!

• @Alex Programming and streaming I found dual screens more useful far away from having an hyper-giant screen.

Regarding the HDD, there's a beautiful 8 TB SATA III 6 GB/s HDD walking without owner by Amazon :smile: which I completely recommend you. Say goodbye to the "Running out of space" message.

• Awesome feedback guys. Thanks! Looks like I'll stick with the Dual setup. They are so cheap now its amazing. Anyone running 4K yet?

@EternalSites I was thinking internal. Whats the speed difference of a 3.0 USB compared to a SATA III 6 GB/s?

@Draëcal http://www.amazon.ca/Seagate-Archive-SATA-Drive-ST8000AS0002/dp/B00XS423SC/ref=sr_1_1/190-7803434-4254823?ie=UTF8&qid=1456143392&sr=8-1&keywords=8tb+hdd This one? :D

Thanks guys I appreciate it!

• @Alex Since I had never considered that, I decided to look it up. Seems both technologies are fairly recent, so neither is being used to its fullest capacity. It looks like SATA III should be faster, as USB 3.0 maxes out at ~5 GB/s, but in reality, most HDDs only use SATA III at around 5 GB/s anyway, so they pretty much break even.

The only concern I found is if you have multiple 3.0 ports on one card, most only use one PCI-e lane, so using more than 1 at a time will divide up the maximum speed to each port. With that in mind, and my tendency to avoid complicated scenarios, I would have to say internal is more reliable at the moment.

Looks like your connection to Traverse Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.