One can do anything?

• I watched the video, so I suppose one can create either a medieval fantasy planet with wizards and dragons or a space cowboy one a-la Star Wars?

• You can virtually create anything you can imagine. Both scenarios are possible. You can totally be a space cowboy, whhhaaa-whhhaaa
    or a gangster of love....Whoa derailed there.

Take a look at Julies video of making an alien race.
    http://forum.traverse.world/topic/16/creating-an-alien-in-character-creation

A cool feature of character creation is DNA can be copied and shared so that guild members (or federation of cowboys) can all be the same race :)

As for a medieval planet! Of course! You can build any style building you can imagine. It will really be a versatile system.

The hard part would be dragons though. I mean do they exist? Maybe....The most difficult part would be trying to find one and tame it I'd think? But remember....there is a Universe full of galaxies to explore. Maybe you'll find something cooler than a dragon!

Hope that helps some. Let me know if you have other questions!

Alex

• I wonder about "endgame" factor for our characters.
    Will the gamers that want skip building (not me :) ) and only focus on developing their toon will have some "goal" to reach.
    For example: Can they look for better and better loot/how long it will take to get it. I know it will be mainly based on other users ideas/maps/planets. I just wonder how deep this aspect is going to be.

• Great thoughts. I'll do my best to answer, although much of this topic will surely need to be addressed in other threads :)

Lets think of PvE endgame as raids or tiered content for players to rush to finish. The Endgame won't be traditional in that sense. MMORPG players are most used to a pre developed story arc that is released over expansions that feature a main antagonist and their gang of baddies. The goal is usually to raid and get all the shiniest loot!

In Traverse, Player made content is what most people will be experiencing. Now before I jump further I should say that it is quite possible for a player to create a complete story arc for their planet (written and recorded in game and shared through social media integration). They can build dungeons or even raids that fit their story and they can chose how difficult it will be. Players gain experience and level which in turn makes them more powerful when experiencing player made content. Creators will be able to adjust the level of their content.

But after you have fleshed out your design, you'll need to populate it with baddies. (This becomes a deep topic.)

The goal is to give content creators as much control as possible. If you want to place a bad guy in a dungeon you will be able to. If you want to spawn monsters at a gate, you'll be able to. But first this needs to be considered: If everyone was able to spawn the best mobs with the best loot chance and adjust the drops, and level of the mob, exploitation would become a factor. Methods of controlling this issue are currently being looked at. There also might be some gating mechanisms in place for tougher more challenging mobs since tougher mobs drop better items.

Its also being looked at to allow players to assume the rolls of mobs, mini-bosses and bosses. Meaning players will actually raid other players while in PvE mode. How great is that! Perhaps Xulture or Aztar can address this further.

So in theory you could design a planet that is ever evolving and constantly becoming its own 'Expansion' where your story changes with your planet :) This is one aspect of endgame.

Pvp will have its own version of endgame as well. Planet creators will be able to control if they allow PvP and where it is allowed. If you feel like building an arena or turning your planet into one big MOBA, that is possible. You could then arrange for tournaments, or have Pvp raids that involve Guild vs Guild, Planet vs Planet. This is equally as broad a topic that might best be dealt with in its own thread too. :wink:

Exploration will also be a major facet of game play that should be considered in this very topic. Players will most certainly search other planets for rare resources, items and mobs. Rare mobs with more powerful loot will spawn dynamically in your galaxy on random planets. Rare types of trees and vegetation also spawn and will need to be harvested. Harvesting has a chance to reward you with a seeds that can be brought to your planet and planted. Anything epic or rare that has been discovered will have value. Maybe you'll just be an explorer, selling your rare finds on the galactic trading post :D which then makes the economy a whole other endgame. (The Economy is another massive topic)

I hope I helped a little and I'm sure Xulture and Aztar will chime in on anything I missed or screwed up lol.

I love the discussion though, thanks!

Alex

• Traverse Team

"Endgame" for me, is the main part of the game.

Alex already covered most of what we've been planning.

We'll continually be adding new high-end gear, that requires more sophisticated methods of acquiring.

Since all landscape and environments are player made, they will have to create end game -- dungeons, raids, or pvp arenas. We'll provide as many mechanics for this, and keep adding more as the community suggests.

Apart from placing the mobs in your dungeon, picking loot tier, we'll also provide spawn triggers, simplistic AI editor, and ability to control mobs. So if you're hosting a raid, you and your guild members will be able to directly affect gameplay. Or if you created it, AI that you define, will drive the gameplay.

At the level cap (exact number has not been decided yet), gear will become much more important. You could gear up to 2x or 3x more power/survivability than under-geared player. Traverse is not point-and-click, lock and spam the key. All abilities need to be aimed at the enemy, so skill will still play a major role. Even 3x better geared player will not be automatic win -- without skillful maneuvering, he'll be just a sitting duck.

Note that, although all content is player created, we are also players in Traverse! You'll have plenty of our personal planets to explore, even at launch, and we'll also be hosting our own raids :-)

• Amazing reply. I think this post made me want to play this game x 10 times more now.
    You guys have a huge chance for great success :D

• Being devils advocate, with this system, what's to stop a player creating a dungeon chock full of epic loot, or bosses that drop epic loot and turn the difficulty down to nothing and therefore make it a farmable lootfest?!

City of Heroes had player made content and that's basically what happened sadly.

• Just to add on to what @Xulture wrote, there will be a public trello board for community voting which should help suggestions :)

• Traverse Team

@nighthawk999 said:

Being devils advocate, with this system, what's to stop a player creating a dungeon chock full of epic loot, or bosses that drop epic loot and turn the difficulty down to nothing and therefore make it a farmable lootfest?!

City of Heroes had player made content and that's basically what happened sadly.

Thanks for highlighting this!

We've spent quite a bit of time trying to work out how far can we go, and what sort of mechanisms we need to prevent exploits. I hope our solution works well in practice:

When designing your dungeon, you can place markers where mobs spawn, and where bosses spawn. You select what mobs are to be used as trash, and what ones as bosses and their minions, if any. You don't, however, have control over what level these mobs are nor what quality tier and amount of loot will be spawned.

Level of the mobs will be determined by the levels of the party entering your dungeon -- and they have ability to choose 'hard', 'medium' or 'easy'. This will just scale the dungeon up or down, relative to their (average) level. Each kill of the trash mob, will start adding up into quality measure. Loot tiers and quantity will directly be impacted by that 'quality' measure.

To get boss mob to drop raid quality loot, you'll need to build your dungeon to raid requirements. Eg, you choose '10 players', so all mobs will be scaled to challenge 10 players, and a party of 5 won't really have much luck even on 'easy' mode. Next, you'll need to setup enough encounters for the group of 10, before final boss will actually drop great stuff.

We'll build systems to tell you that 'according to your current setup, your boss will drop epic item once every 100 kills'... then you start adding mobs until you get the balance you want.

If you overdo mobs, players won't like to play some 12hr trash clearing dungeon for the sake of getting guaranteed 10 epic items. Or maybe they will..?

You could even create 1-man dungeon that would take 12hr to clear and give this person that loves soloing a 2% chance to drop raid quality loot.

Main objective for us is that over time, players will really choose what's the most enjoyable and fun, and hopefully help re-invent the MMORPG genre and what 'endgame' really means.

• Okay my jaw just hit the floor. That sounded even cooler than when you first explained it to me Xulture!

Boom....mind blown.

• Great. I love how you design the game around. Each person can find in it what he wants. Solo players/raiders/builders will have access to same stuff.

Question: How well can you design boss AI ? Can creators make something quite complicated? For example: At 100% monster will do x. At 50% x+y. If z time passes boss will do another thing. Etc. Etc. Also will we be able to add some sort of landscape/terrain changes during combat ? For example boss on a platform surrounded with lava and with a time platform will be smaller and smaller.

• Traverse Team

@Liriel said:

Question: How well can you design boss AI ? Can creators make something quite complicated? For example: At 100% monster will do x. At 50% x+y. If z time passes boss will do another thing. Etc. Etc. Also will we be able to add some sort of landscape/terrain changes during combat ? For example boss on a platform surrounded with lava and with a time platform will be smaller and smaller.

We'll certainly provide a way for players to define triggers for some super-powerful attacks, based on boss health, or time since the fight started. Maybe these could even act on specific spot on aggro list.

Second thing -- controlled changes to environment, is really great idea. I think we may have to use these in conjunction with mechanisms we'll have in game. Perhaps mob can trigger trap door opening, or lift activating at the times you choose..? You could move props using these triggers, or resize them -- since those environment changes have already been built into the game, it won't be hard at all to expose them for AI scripting.

Lastly, I'm not sure how far into AI we should go, without making it too complicated. Rule based system like you explained may be just enough for us, because players will tweak and change them until they're perfect. More complicated AI systems like behavioral trees (and there are many versions of it) may be too much for most our players, but we could look into that too, at a later stage, if there is enough demand.

Unreal engine comes with this really awesome feature, that we'll have to use -- 'networked replay'. It is ability to replay gameplay events that occured in the past. We really have to let the owner of the planet or dungeon replay and watch what his guests did (he'll always have ability to observe while its happening)..

• @Xulture Regarding Networked Playback.....that seems like an amazing feature. Especially for the perfectionists out there. They will want to analyze what they build and challenge themselves in creating the best experience possible.

Seeing how players run through their content will help them improve it and troubleshoot. I love it!

Looks like your connection to Traverse Community was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.